My job is to create the Port Wine Sauce. We purchased a bottle of Port a while back and it cost about $4-5.00 for the bottle. I have beef broth, onions and I am good to go.
There's only four ingredients to the sauce.
Total cost $3.49. This makes plenty of sauce for four people at a cost of 87¢ per person.
- 1/3 large sweet onion - small dice
- 3 tbsp. cold butter
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup port wine
- Begin by dicing your onion.
- To a sauce pan add 1 tbsp. of butter and melt over medium low heat. Add in the diced onion. Stir and cook over low heat until they caramelize.
- To the caramelized onions add some pepper to taste.
- In the same pan add in the port wine and simmer over medium heat until it reduces by 1/3. About 6 minutes.
- Whisk in the beef broth and keep simmering for a few minutes.
- Add in 2 tbsp. cold butter and whisk until incorporated.