I am using the last two jars of our canned tomato sauce from our garden last year and with some tomato paste I have in the freezer and on hand garlic and onions making the sauce very inexpensive for me to make. I'm basing my figures on that. If you have to make sauce from scratch add about $3.00 (get the cans of tomatoes on sale). The total for this meal is $13.05. Feeds up to 8 people a generous portion at a cost of $1.63 per person. For six, $2.17 per person.
I still have some fresh Parmigiano Regiano cheese from a previous recipe so I will use that in the casserole. You can use any Parmesan cheese you have available. I'm using pasta I have available - cellantani it is.
- 4 cups red sauce or more
- 2 1/4 # sweet Italian sausage (or hot) - casings removed
- 1 box cellantani pasta (or penne, ziti or rigatoni)
- 1/2 bag shredded mozzarella cheese (or more if you like)
- grated Parmesan cheese to taste
- salt for pasta water
- cracked black pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- In a skillet over medium to medium high heat lightly brown the sausage, breaking down as you go.
- Drain off the fat from the pan and put the sausage in a large bowl.
- Cook the pasta according to the box directions. Drain and add the pasta to the sausage.
- Add in the red sauce and give a good mix. If you think there is not enough sauce, add more.
- To an oven proof casserole, spray with cooking spray and add some sauce to the bottom.
- Then place the rest of the mixture in the dish.
- Grate some fresh Parmesan cheese over the top and on top of that spread the shredded mozzarella cheese. Grate some black pepper on top of the cheese and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered in a 350° oven for about 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.