Braised Pork Chops with Mushroom and Onion Gravy

Last night I made braised pork chops for my husband and me. I've posted this recipe on the blog which is one of my childhood go to ways to do pork chops. It evokes such memories of both my mother and my father. Mom cooked it the same way all throughout her life and my dad gave me an added little trick which was to help the gravy out by adding not just water but some chicken stock. Thanks Dad for the tip.
Since I am a huge fan of the crimini mushroom I decided to saute those in with the onions to heighten the flavor of the gravy. Served the chop on top of some creamy mashed potatoes, smothered it with the gravy and had some roasted asparagus with hollandaise on top for the vegetable side along with some corn off the cob. What a delicious, yet simple meal! If my husband gives me two thumbs up and is smiling through the whole meal I know I have a winner dinner.


You can find the recipe for roasting the asparagus and making the hollandaise by going to my post: Easy Hollandaise Sauce. It's Ina Garten's short cut way of doing the hollandaise and it is ever so good.

I will again write out the recipe for the braised pork chops as I made just a couple of minor changes. Trust me you will love this recipe.  The keys to the chops are this:
  1. Buy bone-in center cut chops. Ours were a little over half an inch which is the perfect size.
  2. Braise the chops in the liquid on a simmer for 1 1/2 hours and the chops will be so tender.
  3. Layer your flavors and you'll see where when you view the details below.
  4. As you cook the chops covered, some evaporation may happen, so if the liquid is getting low, just add some water.**

  • 4 - 6 center cut pork chops - bone in
  • 1 large sweet onion - cut in half then in strips about 1/2" thick
  • 1/2 package crimini mushrooms sliced
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 2 tbsp. oil (canola or olive oil)
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup water **
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Gravy Master
  • 2 tbsp. corn starch
  • 1/3 cup water

When spicing this dish, it really is a matter of taste. I use the same spices on the chops as well as in the flour.
Spices: Granulated garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper - sprinkle each chop on both sides with these spices as little or as much as you like.

To the flour add in:
  • 1 tbsp. granulated garlic
  • 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. salt
  1. In a deep dish combine the flour and the spices and mix well. Dredge each seasoned pork chop in the seasoned flour and set on a plate.
  2. Melt the butter and oil in a deep saute pan over moderately low heat.  Add in the onions, stir and saute the onions to a nice golden brown. Add in the mushrooms along with some black pepper and a touch of salt and saute till light golden brown.  Remove the onions and mushrooms with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl.
  3. Reheat the same pan with a touch more oil or butter if necessary and when the butter is nice and bubbly, add in the floured pork chops and sear until they are a nice golden brown on both sides. The thicker the chop the longer you can sear it to get to a deep brown.
  4. Remove the seared chops to a plate and de-glaze the pan with the water or chicken broth or a combination of both. Scrap the bottoms and sides of the pan to get all that goodness up and stir in the Gravy Master.
  5. Add the chops back in, top each chop with some of the sauteed onions and mushrooms and simmer, covered for at 1 1/2 hours.  At the end of the cooking time remove the chops to a platter and tent with foil.
  6. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and water mixer.  Bring the cooking liquid up to a boil and whisk in the slurry to make a gravy. Keep whisking until the slurry is incorporated and you have achieved the thickness you desire.

You will use more onion and mushrooms than this picture shows because I was only cooking for two!

I always like lots of gravy. Gravy does freeze well. I try and use it within 2 months. And I usually make extra mashed potato as well as they heat up very nicely in the microwave with a touch more butter and a drizzle of milk or half and half. For us, I peeled 4 large baking potato sized russet potatoes. It made for 3 hefty portions. So use that as a guide line when cooking for your family.

I bought one bunch of asparagus to roast and we devoured all of it! It was so good with the hollandaise. So when you can get asparagus on sale, give yourself and your family a treat.











Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts