Store bought dough, garden tomatoes, mozzarella cheese (lots of mozzarella cheese), dried basil and cracked black pepper.
Is your mouth watering yet?
I'll admit the crust was a tad thick and really puffed up. My choice of baking wear was my tart pan and that is the reason. Next time I will be sure to use a different vessel upon which to spread the dough and layer in all of the goodies. I spotted a 15 x 2 inch deep dish pan that is fairly inexpensive to purchase on line. Cost was $5.29.
- 1 bag pizza dough
- olive oil
- 6 - 8 oz. mozzarella, shredded (I had a hard mozzarella roll to use.)
- 2 - 3 large tomatoes sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- dried basil - a few pinches
- In a glass bowl that has a bit of olive oil drizzled, add in your dough and move around to coat. Cover with plastic wrap until it doubles in bulk.
- Preheat your oven to 450° F.
- To your baking pan, drizzle with olive oil and spread it around with a paper towel. Sprinkle some cornmeal on the bottom of the pan.
- Then, press the dough into a baking pan, pressing the dough up the sides of the pan.
- If you are going to shred your own cheese, place it in the freezer for about 20 minutes as it will make the shredding a lot easier. Use a box grater.
- Add in a good amount of shredded mozzarella over the crust and cracked black pepper on top of the cheese.
- Add in the tomatoes, overlapping slightly as you go. Again, season with cracked black pepper on top of the tomatoes.
- Top it off with more mozzarella cheese (the more the better), grind cracked pepper on the cheese and finally take pinches of dried basil and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Drizzle just a bit of olive oil over the cheese - use it sparingly.
- Bake for approximately 15-18 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and the crust although it may be thick it should be cooked.