Spaghetti and Italian Style Meatballs


The difference is in the taste of the meatballs. This Italian style meatballs recipe is scrumptious.

Spaghetti and meatballs is one of those dishes that is most likely made in every kitchen with varying recipes throughout the United States and in other parts of the world. My mother made some of the best home made spaghetti sauce using canned plum tomatoes, tomato sauce or puree and tomato paste with dried Italian herbs, onions and garlic. Not only did she make it at home but also at the Bar/Restaurant she and my stepfather owned many years ago. It was a popular Wednesday luncheon special with all of the patrons.
I so remember the five pound logs of ground beef she purchased to begin her meatballs and all of the times I helped her roll the balls.

We just finished canning a tomato sauce from our garden tomatoes which is what I used for the base of my sauce. My meatball recipe is adapted from Williams-Sonoma. Although I've made my mother's meatball recipe for years and years, I think this one is so blasted good. Perhaps it's the marjoram in the meatball that gives it a unique flavor or the combination I now use of beef and pork and of course some luscious ricotta.

I have added other herbs to the recipe and feel free to use any fresh herbs to replace the dried herbs.



Here is the meatball recipe:
  • 1 3/4 lbs. combination of ground pork and ground chuck beef
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese
  • 1 small sweet onion minced
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 tbsp. fresh marjoram leaves - chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp. dried parsley
  • 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. dried basil
  1. Preheat your oven to 350°
  2. In a bowl combine all of the above ingredients and mix well. Do not over work the meat.
  3. Roll into the size meatball you desire and place them on a foil lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with a cooking spray.
  4. Bake for about 20-25 minutes just until they are slightly browned.
  5. Or, if you prefer fry them in a skillet on top of the stove.
  6. Add the meatballs to your prepared sauce.



Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts