Sometimes you can't get too much of a good thing. I posted this recipe a while back and revisited and revamped the post.
This is much better. What is it about chocolate? When I was a kid it wasn't so much about chocolate but I was the potato chip snacking type of kid.
Now? Well I can't seem to get enough chocolate.
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 1/4 cups milk (or skim milk) - 3/4 cup used first, then the rest for later
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the egg whites until lightly beaten.
- In a larger bowl combine the cocoa and cornstarch. Whisk together.
- Add in 3/4 cup milk and whisk until it is completely smooth.
- In a large sauce pot add in the rest of the milk, the sugar and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat - WHISKING CONSTANTLY.
- Remove from the heat.
- Gradually whisk in 1 cup of the hot cocoa mixture into the egg whites and pour this mixture back into the pan. (This is called tempering.)
- Cook the mixture over medium low heat for 2 minutes - WHISKING CONSTANTLY.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pudding can now be transferred to individual dishes or one large bowl.
- Cool at room temperature prior to refrigeration. The pudding thickens more as it cools.
- To avoid "pudding skin" place plastic wrap on top of the pudding.