What a great week night meal - pork chops. We love them. And they come out so tender and juicy especially when you braise them on the stove top.
You could adapt this to a crock pot but if you don't flour and sear them first on both sides I think you are missing out on some good caramelization that happens and ultimately helps to flavor the gravy. I always have potatoes and onions on hand and also had purchased some nice apple cider a while back which needed to get used up. The cider coupled with the onions gave this a really nice balance of flavor between tangy and sweet.
Try and get on sale bone-in chops to keep the cost of this meal down. Most large chains carry sirloin and blade bone-in chops for as little as $1.39 per pound. With that price the cost of this meal for four people comes out to $2.18 per person.
- 2 1/2 lbs. bone-in pork chops
- 1 large onion - sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- gravy master
- In a bowl combine the flour with the granulated garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a deep skillet over medium low heat add in 1 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. olive oil. Add in the sliced onion and cook until they begin to caramelize, stirring occasionally. Takes about 10-15 minutes. When the onions are done remove them to a waiting plate or bowl.
- Season the pork chops on both sides with the same spices that are in the flour. Then dredge them in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- In the same skillet you used for the onions, turn the heat to medium/medium high and melt the other tablespoon of butter (or more if you like) and the last tablespoon of olive oil. Sear the chops on either side to a golden brown.
- Add the onions back to the pan along with the apple cider and chicken broth. Toss in just some gravy master for added flavor and color.
- Put a lid on and simmer on the lowest heat for an hour or longer, until the pork chops are tender.