This beautiful piece of pottery was a gift from my sister. When I am making the broccoli casserole or macaroni and cheese for a number of people, this is my favorite casserole dish to use.
For a simple side dish that is economical I have chosen to post a recipe we have made so often throughout the years and will go well on your holiday table. I made it at my restaurant and my customers loved it. It is not expensive, and easy to assemble. This entire casserole costs $9.45. Serves 8 to 10 people. Eight at $1.18 per serving; ten at $.94 per serving making this a very inexpensive dish.
- 2 - 10 oz. pkg. frozen broccoli
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can cream of mushroom OR cream of celery soup
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp. onion - finely diced
- 1/2 cup Ritz crackers - crushed
- 2 tbsp. butter melted
- salt and black pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- Cook the broccoli for 5 minutes in boiling water. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, mayo, eggs, 1/2 cup of the grated cheese and the onion. Add in salt and pepper to taste then add in the broccoli and mix well.
- Place in a large casserole dish. Sprinkle the crushed Ritz crackers on top. Drizzle the melted butter over the cracker crumbs.
- Cover and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30-45 minutes until the mixture is bubbly and the cracker topping is lightly browned.
The family was not about to wait for me to take pictures and were diving into this lovely and delicious broccoli and cheese casserole, hence the following photograph!