Cinnamon Apple Pecan Crumb Pie


Back at the end of September my husband brought home a large box of apples which the remainder was put in a refrigerated bin. Before they went to the wayside I knew I needed to use them up. However I really did not want to make another basic apple pie. I wanted something a bit different, something new and so here it is, Cinnamon Apple Pecan Crumb Pie. Luckily I have been stocking up on some baking items as they have gone on sale thinking ahead to holiday baking time.

The inspiration actually came from one of my Williams-Sonoma cookbooks so here is the recipe for you. Hope you enjoy it.

I make a really good pie crust, but I added one more ingredient to it. To get the basic recipe for Perfect Pie Crust just follow the link. What I did was to add about 2 tbsp. granulated sugar to the flour and salt before pulsing the butter. For some reason I felt I just wanted that little touch of sweetness to the crust.

For the filling:
  • 6-7 large apples, peeled, cores removed and sliced about 1/2 inch.
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice (+ extra drizzled on apples as you are slicing so they don't turn brown)
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 tbsp. corn starch
  • 1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
  • freshly ground nutmeg to taste
I find that freshly ground nutmeg can over power a dish so I really just go by what I am grating to the apples really all by eye.
Simply mix all of the above ingredients together with the apples in a large bowl.


Then after you have rolled out your crust and formed it in your pie dish, fill it up.


For the Crumb Topping:
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 5 tbsp. cold butter - sliced
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup dark or light brown sugar packed
  • 1/2 cup whole pecans
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  1. Place the pecans in the food processor along with the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and cold butter.
  2. Pulse until nice and crumbly.
  3. Top the pie with the crumb mixture.
  4. Bake on a foil lined baking sheet in a preheated 350° over for 1 hour until the crust is golden brown.
You let the pie cool down or serve it warm. I even think this would be wonderful with
a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.


It may look like the crust is not done, but it was. I think the juice soaked into the crust a bit, but as you can see the Macoun apples held up. They were nice and tender but not mushy. The hunk that was taken out was the piece my husband cut for himself. I had a sliver. He raved about it. I loved it as well. Something out of the everyday you know.


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts