For a really economical dressing to go along side a roasted chicken or a roasted turkey, a "doctored" box stuffing mix is the way to go.
I used a Stove Top sage flavored stuffing added in some onion and celery, more spices, some chicken broth and melted butter and of course those wonderful craisins.
The craisins were a two for $4.00 and the stuffing mix was on sale for $1.34 a box. There's enough for 8 average sized portions at a total cost of 59¢ per serving.
- 1 box stuffing mix
- 1 pkg. craisins
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup diced onion (small dice)
- 3/4 cup diced celery (small dice)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 pinches dried sage
- 1/8 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. granulated garlic
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- In a bowl combine all of the ingredients. If you find the mix is too dry add some more broth.
- Place in an oven proof casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake covered for about 45 minutes and uncover for the last 15 minutes.