Apple Crisp Pie


Believe it or not I still had some apples in my bin in the refrigerator from the huge box my husband brought home in the Fall. To my surprise they were still good. Maybe not for munching on but certainly good for a pie. In addition I had some deep dish frozen pie shells in the freezer which I wanted to use up. We like apple pie and we like apple crisp so to combo the two is exactly what I did here.

I made two pies and used 8 medium apples, peeled cored and sliced for each one. The crisp topping was simple and here it is.



For the topping:

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 1/4 cup oats
  • 1 cup light brown sugar packed
  • 1 1/2 sticks cold butter - cut into chunks
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  1. In a food processor add the flour and chunks of butter. Pulse until the butter is crumbled into the flour.
  2. Remove the mixture to a bowl and add in the brown sugar, cinnamon, oats and salt. Work mixture with your hands until incorporated.
For the apples:
  • 8 medium apples - peeled, cored and sliced (for two pies)
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp. corn starch
  • 2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp. white sugar




  1. Take your peeled apples and place them in a bowl and add the lemon juice and stir.
  2. Add in the cornstarch, cinnamon and white sugar and mix well.
  3. Fill the pie with the apples and cover with the topping.
  4. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for an hour.





Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts