Went shopping specifically for a trifle dish to make this wonderful Black Forest Trifle. It is one of those desserts that I have always found attractive and decided to head out to Pier One Imports and pick up the bowl.
The flavors taken from black forest cake makes this an outstanding dessert. Despite the fact I used a vanilla pound cake versus baking a chocolate pound cake for using in this recipe, it is a darned good recipe. If you are a baker and have your own recipe for chocolate pound cake then by all means make it and bake it a day before you assemble this dessert.
I found that by refrigerating the pound cake overnight it sliced beautifully when I went to assemble it. The serrated knife also was the best tool to use.
It doesn't take long to make the trifle; the end result is a mouthful of rich chocolate, cherries and whipped cream sandwiched in between the soft layers of the pound cake. When it was chilled I dished out a sample for my husband to try a bite and well, ...... I never got it back.
Black Forest Trifle is good, easy and fairly inexpensive and feeds lots of people or in my case a husband who is now accustomed to having to have a dessert experience or two, or three every night now.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf chocolate or vanilla pound cake (15 oz.)
- 2 cans cherry pie filling (20 oz.)
- whipped cream
- Fresh cherries and chocolate curls for garnish (optional)
- Combine sugar, cocoa and cornstarch in a saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 to 8 minutes until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla, stirring until the butter melts. Cover and chill.
- Cut cake in thin slices and arrange a layer at the bottom of the trifle bowl.
- Spoon a fair amount of cherry filling over the cake, spreading as you go.
- Then spread some of the chocolate mixture over cherry filling.
- Top with freshly whipped cream. Repeat the layers ending with whipped cream.
- Garnishes of chocolate curls and fresh cherries is optional.