Crunchy Chewy Pecan Cookies with Coconut and Chocolate Bits



A while back my husband requested that I make some cookies. He's a dessert person now and must have some form of dessert or Klondike bars - or anything chocolate. I headed to my kitchen the next day and produced a Black Forest Trifle which he gobbled up all but two scoops of the entire trifle bowl. How he is not 300 pounds is beyond me.
Yesterday he found me in the kitchen making cookie dough - lots of cookie dough. This recipe makes 32 large cookies using a 2 inch scoop. The yield would be more if I made them smaller. (Obviously.)




The fact is I got hooked on a Pepperidge Farm cookie and so did you know who. But the price for 8 cookies at 43¢ each got me thinking I should be able to find a recipe that is close and make it for less. My cost worked out to 35¢ each for this batch. I found a copycat recipe for Pepperidge Farms Sausalito Cookies and changed it up a bit. I'm not paying $10.00 for a pound or less of Macadamia nuts - no not I.
This recipe is good in that you get a crunchy exterior, chewy interior. My only complaint is that it is perhaps a bit to sweet (for my taste) and when I make them again I will cut back the sugar by 1/2 cup and see if that makes a difference.
Please note that I made these in my Kitchen Aide stand mixer and the dough when turning, was almost coming out the top. It makes a lot of dough.
  • 1 lb. butter - softened
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (light or dark - I had to use both as I was low on light sugar)
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (more if you like them with more chips)
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 2 cups pecans - chopped
  • parchment paper
  1. In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  2. In another bowl combine the sugars.
  3. Take the coconut and blitz in a food processor. Then after you do that blitz the pecans to your liking. Place both in a bowl until you are ready to add them to the dough.
  4. In a stand mixer beat the butter, eggs, vanilla and sugars until well blended.
  5. Next, add the flour a little bit at a time and mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
  6. At the end add the chips, coconut and pecans and mix well to incorporate.
  7. Form the dough into balls and place on a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (ungreased), placed 1 inch apart.
  8. Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 15-20 minutes. *******If you roll them smaller, bake for about 10 minutes time.*********




I am not fond of sifting and usually look for recipes with no sifting involved. But the sifting was all worth it in the end. So kick back, relax with a glass of milk or cup of tea and bite into one of these tasty, crunchy, chewy cookies.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts