Slow Cooker Asian Pork Roast



Yum

From the store I purchased a pork blade roast mainly for the fact that this five pound roast was on special and cost $7.52. To tell you the truth I've tried to roast this cut in the oven and found it not to be all that tender. My intent here is to impart some Asian flavors to it and cook it in my crock pot. First though as I always do, I'll give it a sear on all sides. With the exception of a ham or a corned beef I like to sear any meat before it goes in the crock pot.


This is now simmering away and it smells amazing. You can really smell the depth of the soy sauce which is the predominant smell. I'm home so I am able to turn the roast over every hour or so to be sure I can get those flavors to permeate the roast. Keeping my fingers crossed this is another great tasting meal!
I can report that this came out really well. The roast was tender and juicy, succulent in every bite. The combination from the soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar and vinegar made for an outstanding sauce to drizzle over the meat.

If you make this recipe the cooking liquid becomes a sauce for the meat. Don't throw the sauce away if you have left over pork. I have a left-over make over recipe I am working on and you'll need the sauce.


  • 4-5 lb. pork blade roast
  • pepper to taste
  • salt to taste
  • granulated garlic to taste
  • shortening for searing (about 1 heaping tablespoon)
  1. Sprinkle the seasonings all over the roast.
  2. Melt the shortening in a deep skillet over medium high heat. Turn the heat down to medium and sear the meat on all sides for about 3 minutes per side, starting with the fat side. Transfer to your crock pot.
For the cooking liquid:
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup dark soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp. dry sherry
  • 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp. minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. sesame seeds or sesame oil
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp. ginger
  1. Mix all of the above ingredients in a bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
  2. Pour the mixture over the roast that is in the crock pot.
  3. Cook on low for 5-8 hours.
 

The cost of the whole dinner, was $9.72. Feeds six comfortably at $1.62 per portion. Add in a rice and vegetable and kick that up to $3.02 per serving.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts