Cooking for Two: Pork, Soy and Curry Stuffed Peppers



Some times it seems it is more difficult to cook for one or two people versus four to six. And when you are trying to watch pennies and do a budget shopping you can come up empty handed with ideas. My husband loves stuffed peppers and I do also but I've grown tired of using beef and with the recent massive beef recall, I opted for ground pork. A package weight of .83 pounds there was plenty to make two fully packed peppers.
For peppers you need some cooking liquid and since I am out of chicken stock which would have been my first choice, I'll arrange my canned garden tomatoes on the bottom of the dish which will produce a nice cooking liquid for the peppers. I thought about the fact that pork is fairly lean so I ramped up on the onions because as they cook and release their juices it should help with the overall moisture of the meat mixture.
The peppers, and if you purchase canned whole or diced tomatoes works out to $6.99 total, serving two people for $3.49 each.



  • 3/4 + pounds ground pork
  • 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes and the liquid
  • 3/4 cup onion - small dice
  • 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 3 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 tsp. hot curry powder
  • 1 tsp. granulated garlic
  • good pinch kosher salt
  1. Preheat your oven to 350°.
  2. After dicing the onions place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well to combine.
  3. Cut the tops off the peppers and make a small slice across the bottom if necessary so the pepper stands up and doesn't topple over.
  4. Fill the peppers, packing down as you fill.
  5. Place in an oven proof casserole dish.
  6. Bake in the oven for 1 hours. Use an instant read thermometer to check that the internal temperature is 145°.  If not cook for 15-25 minutes more.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts