Take this basic Alfredo sauce and turn out some really interesting cooking on a budget meals. It doesn't have to be for Fettuccine Alfredo only. Change it by adding in left over or freshly cooked poultry. Add in fresh or frozen vegetables as well and you have created whole new dinner meals. Use any kind of pasta you want with the added ingredients and this delicious Alfredo sauce.
You don't have to run out and purchase white pepper if it is not in your spice cabinet; black pepper is certainly fine. Also a store brand Parmesan cheese (grated) is what I've used, but if a fresh block of Parmesan fits your budget then by all means grate it yourself.
Basic Alfredo Sauce Recipe:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/8 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- Fresh or dried parsley (optional)
- In a sauce pot over medium to medium low heat, melt the butter. Add in the heavy cream and warm to a low simmer (just until the outer edges start to bubble).
- Next, whisk in the Parmesan cheese, nutmeg and white pepper until incorporated and keep whisking until the sauce thickens slightly. If you dip a spoon in and it coats the back of the spoon, the sauce is ready.
- Add fresh or dried parsley right at the end and toss.