Had so much fun in my kitchen the other day making Chicken Enchiladas. Initially I wasn't sure what to have for a side dish - then it struck me. What about some Red Beans and Rice - perfect.
The whole pot of Red Beans and Rice cost me $3.42 to make. It would feed between 5 and 6 portions, at .68¢ for five or .57¢ for six portions. Perfect budget side dish!
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 can red kidney beans - with the juice
- 3/4 cup onion - diced
- 2/3 cup green bell pepper - diced
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper - more if you like spicier and the heat
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. butter
- In a sauce pot over medium low heat, melt the butter. Add in the onions and peppers and saute until softened. About 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the cup of rice and dried spices, stir to coat in the mixture.
- Add in the can of beans with their liquid along with the chicken broth. Mix well.
- Cover and bring the whole mixture up to bubbling on the edges. Turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 20-25 minutes until most all of the liquid is absorbed.