Red Beans and Rice



Had so much fun in my kitchen the other day making Chicken Enchiladas. Initially I wasn't sure what to have for a side dish - then it struck me. What about some Red Beans and Rice - perfect.
The whole pot of Red Beans and Rice cost me $3.42 to make. It would feed between 5 and 6 portions, at .68¢ for five or .57¢ for six portions. Perfect budget side dish!
  • 1 cup long grain white rice
  • 1 can red kidney beans - with the juice
  • 3/4 cup onion - diced
  • 2/3 cup green bell pepper - diced
  • 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper - more if you like spicier and the heat
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  1. In a sauce pot over medium low heat, melt the butter. Add in the onions and peppers and saute until softened. About 4-5 minutes.
  2. Add in the cup of rice and dried spices, stir to coat in the mixture.
  3. Add in the can of beans with their liquid along with the chicken broth. Mix well.
  4. Cover and bring the whole mixture up to bubbling on the edges. Turn the heat down to a simmer. 
  5. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes until most all of the liquid is absorbed.
I do uncover and stir once or twice during the cooking process, even though most places tell you not to. For this dish I wanted the rice to have a touch of moisture - not a lot, just a touch so when almost all of the liquid was absorbed I turned my burner off and let it "rest".


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts