Shrimp Bisque



One of my favorite things to make when I owned my restaurant and worked at the Assisted Living Facility as a cook was soups. I love soups. All kinds of soups and I make them at home as often as I can. Shrimp Bisque or Lobster Bisque rank up there as soups to make and enjoy for perhaps out of the every day meal.
Every time I make anything with shrimp I save the shrimp shells in a container and store them in the freezer then when I need shrimp stock I can make the stock from those. For this recipe you can make the shrimp stock from the shells on the shrimp you purchased for making this Shrimp Bisque, but you may need to purchase additional shrimp stock or a seafood stock from your fish market or grocery store as you need 12 cups total. I've provided how I make my shrimp stock at the bottom of this post.
This recipe may not fit everyone's average budget, but it definitely is one you'll cherish for those "special" occasions.
  • 6 oz. butter + 2 oz. (1 stick total)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 quarts shrimp stock (12 cups)
  • 2 lb. shrimp - peeled, deveined and shells saved
  • 1 qt. heavy cream
  • 1 large onion - small dice
  • 1/2 cup dry sherry
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 3 tbsp. paprika
  • salt to taste
  • white pepper to taste
  1. In a large sauce pot and over medium heat melt 2 tbsp. of butter. Add in the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until they soften and give off their juices.
  2. Next, add the 6 oz. of butter and melt down and add in the flour. Whisk well and keep whisking for about 5-7 minutes until the flour taste cooks out.
  3. Slowly add your shrimp stock and keep whisking to incorporate. Simmer for 20 minutes and then add in the dry sherry and tomato paste. Whisk well.
  4. Add in the paprika and salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Chop your shrimp up as large or small as you would like and add them to the pot.
  6. Stir and simmer for 15-20 minutes more then slowly whisk in the heavy cream to finish.
To make shrimp stock for 2 lbs. of shrimp:
Shrimp Stock:
Take your shrimp shells and put them in a sauce pot. Cover with 4 cups water. Add in 3 bay leaves and about 1 1/2 tsp. of whole black peppercorns and 1 tsp. of salt. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. At the end strain the stock.



Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts