Breakfast Tacos


When I spotted this clever idea for taking tortillas and draping them over an oven rack to make your own taco type shell I got to thinking about what I would make in the baked shell. Light bulb moment and it was decided that since we rarely eat breakfast that a night time dinner could be a breakfast taco.


Of course I didn't realize until I went to "toast" up the tortillas that my Viking oven racks were not going to be cooperative because of my larger tortillas. You see all I had in the refrigerator were "medium" sized tortillas - 7 1/2 inches wide. My husband the clever fella that he is suggested the toaster oven racks. Good thinkin' Lincoln! They toasted up in there just fine and made this idea a success.

However these were huge and my husband was filled to the brim and I could not finish the whole thing in one sitting. So for your family I would suggest to get the small tortillas and toast those and fill. You may have plenty of filling to make about 6 smaller breakfast tacos. I made two huge portions and still had egg and bacon left for another one.
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 - 4 oz. can green chilies (whole or chopped)
  • 6-7 strips bacon
  • 1 bag Mexican blend shredded cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  1. Preheat your oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with foil and cook up the bacon. You need 1 1/2 - 2 strips per taco. (Also depends on your bacon craze!) I cook my bacon for about 20-25 minutes in the oven until crispy. Once the bacon is done - lay on paper towels to absorb the grease. Break the bacon in half or thirds.
  2. Next, in a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until light and fluffy. You could also pull out your hand-held mixer and beat the daylights out of them.
  3. Open the can of green chilies and drain the liquid. If they are whole chilies, pat them down with a paper towel to absorb more of the liquid then rough chop them - size here is not important. They can be small or medium dice.
  4. Add the chopped chilies to the eggs and stir in.
  5. Once the bacon is done turn the oven down to 375° and lay a tortilla over one or two rungs of the rack. Like I said above, I did ours in the toaster oven over 2 rungs and toasted them for 10 minutes - they were toasted but the rounded edges were still pliable enough to open for the filling. If you want a really crispy outer shell bake them for another 5 minutes.
  6. To a large skillet over medium low heat, add the butter and allow to melt. Pour in the egg mixture and begin the scrambling process. Toss in 1/3 of the bag of shredded cheese and melt the cheese in with the eggs.
  7. When the eggs are done spoon some in each "taco" shell and immediately top with some more cheese and slide pieces in and around. 
Total cost for this dish worked out to $9.90. If you end up with six portions each one is $1.65 each. Four large portions (using a larger tortilla) would be $2.47 each.




I am so glad you took the time to visit and would love to have you leave a comment about this recipe. And I will be most happy to answer any questions you may have about this recipe or cooking in general.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts