Homestyle Rice A Roni



I used to love the commercials - that jingle held you glued to the screen. You know the one I'm talking about, ♫♫Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco treat.♫♫

My dry pasta in a box pasta is always Barilla. And it just so happens they make a pasta that is perfect for this dish and I still had quite a bit of it on hand. It's called "cut spaghetti" it's just perfectly broken spaghetti. If you don't have that just use a thin spaghetti and break it apart yourself.

This Homestyle Rice A Roni cost me $1.60 to make and serves 4-6 portions. Portion size seems to be more than what you get in the box and the FLAVOR is absolutely incredible. After you put it together it takes a mere 15 minutes to cook. It's the perfect week night side dish to make.
  • 1 cup white rice
  • 1/3 cup cut spaghetti
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes - crushed
  • 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
  • 1/4 tsp. salt (I used kosher salt)
  • 1/8 tsp. black pepper (I used a fine table grind)
  1. In a wide skillet that has a lid, melt the butter. When the butter sizzles, add in the cut spaghetti. Keep stirring until it starts to brown a bit.
  2. Turn the heat down to medium low and add in the rice and dried herbs. Stir and slowly add in the chicken broth.
  3. Turn the heat up until it comes to a bubble, lid it, turn the heat down to low and cook for 15 minutes. Your rice should be perfectly cooked and ready to plate.



To make a whole inexpensive meal to serve along side the Homestyle Rice A Roni, why not make my  panko crusted chicken cutlets with some carrots or frozen baby peas on the side.





Comments

  1. This is a great recipe I use. Love the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve used this recipe. The recipe gives us a nice break from plain white rice and the ingredients can be easily substituted for special diets like gluten-free and dairy-free needs. My family and I love it. The rice turns our perfect every time. Also works great in an Instant Pot and it only needs 4 min on the Pressure Cook setting to be done. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts