An absolutely simple meal that you can make and is a budget stretcher is a frittata. We had some beautiful sausage my sister and Dave gave us from the Harrington's catalog so I decided I should start using it. Along with some eggs, cheese and spices we had a great meal last night. You use one bowl and one pan so clean up is easy.
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 lb. or more breakfast sausage
- 1 cup grated cheese
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley chopped small or 1 1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
- cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs and milk with the black pepper, parsley and cayenne.
- Heat a deep non stick skillet or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add in the sausage, breaking it down as you go along. Cook the meat until lightly browned and almost cook all the way - shy of about 2 minutes.
- If there is some accumulation of fat, let it remain. Pour in the egg and cheese mixture and give a stir.
- Cook the egg mixture until you see the egg forming around the edge and pop it in the oven for about 8-10 minutes to finish cooking.
This was a nice portion size for me and my cast iron skillet yielded about six portions. The total cost was approximately $6.35. And if you have vegetables to use up, again it's a perfect venue for doing that.