Print the recipes out and save in a booklet. You may want to print out this actual menu plan post along with the first two I did and save that as well. Then when I have posted enough of them, you will be able to revert back to them time and time again.
Basically I look at 6 days worth of dinners and shopping all over on the 7th day. This particular menu plan is based on feeding 2 adults and 2 children.
This meal plan is different from the first one in that it provides 7 complete dinner ideas to take you from Sunday to Saturday with full meals.
The pricing is based on my local grocery store. You may spend less or more depending on where you shop and I urge you to use your coupons where applicable and take advantage of the store's discounts for the week. Feel free to adapt this basic plan to suit your family. This post is really to give you a solid base for menu planning. I have made all of the dinners listed here and have provided my cost for each dinner.
- SUNDAY DINNER: Country Fried Chicken Tenders, coleslaw, fries $10.77
- MONDAY DINNER: California Cod, Baked Potato, salad $12.32
- TUESDAY DINNER: Roasted Red Peppa Sauce over ravioli's with salad $7.27
- WEDNESDAY DINNER: Spring Chicken and Herbs over mashed potatoes $9.45
- THURSDAY DINNER: Breakfast Tacos $9.90
- FRIDAY DINNER: Quick and Easy: Beef Cube Steak, mashed potatoes, carrots $6.90
- SATURDAY DINNER: Grilled Asian Pork Chops, rice and zucchini $10.12
- Get as many items on sale as possible to make this budget work. I got my ravioli's for $1.00 per bag.
- If family packs of chicken or cube steak yield more for less and you can pop the extra in the freezer for just one week, then by all means go for it. I don't like freezing meat for long.
- You can use any kind of chicken for the Spring Chicken and Herb dish - thighs are generally the least expensive but are packed with flavor.
- If you make extra (more than what four people can consume in one night on two of the dinners), then consider one night a left-over night and bump one of the meals.
- Pork chops
- Cube steaks
- Chicken - breasts, thighs, whatever you choose.
- Cod fillet or cod loin (I used the loin, but fillets are less expensive and can be substituted for this dish.)
- 1 lb. bacon
- 1 - 5 lb. bag potatoes (for home made fries and baked potato and mashed)
- 2 large onions
- 2 bags of salad mix
- 1 bag cole slaw
- 1 bag carrots
- celery - review recipes and just buy single stalks
- 1 large lemon
- fresh herbs: rosemary and parsley
- large jar roasted red peppers
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 container of chicken broth (for the rice and Herb Chicken)
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- 1 package tortillas
- 1 box rice
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 lb. butter
- 1 bag Mexican cheese blend
- assorted spices
I've tried to be as accurate as possible, but if I left out a major component, please forgive me!