There is nothing quite like walking out in the yard and picking fresh summer squash - well maybe it's more like watching my husband go out and pick up some summer squash from the garden so I won't melt in the heat. And speaking of heat it was hotter than Hades here the last two days. This morning the after affects of Hurricane Arthur's winds and rain have made it rather chilly - but I am not complaining. After almost four hours without power yesterday where I constantly whined and complained, I am today a happy camper.
Gourmet Warehouse sent me another of their products to try out. Their Orleans Cajun Spice.
To go along with our Cherry Jalapeno Baby Back Ribs, we made a potato salad and this lovely vegetable dish of summer squash, zucchini squash and orange pepper with some diced onion and this Orleans Cajun Spice. The rub was very good and it gave the sauteed vegetables a nice flavor boost. Adding the spice took them from simple and rather boring to simple and scrumptious.
- 2 small yellow squash
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. Orleans Cajun Spice (or more if you like)
- Give a small dice on the onions. De-seed the pepper and cut into medium size pieces.
Slice the ends off the squash and cut into rounds.
- Then, in a large skillet add the butter and olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add in the diced onions and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Next add in the pepper and cook for about 4 minutes, then drop in the squash, stir to coat in the butter.
- Finally add in the spice rub and mix well. Cook on medium low, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened to your liking.
This is a really inexpensive side dish to put together. The total cost came to approximately $3.42 for this side dish which feeds 4 large portions.