One of my husband's clients gave him some fresh garden zucchini and some cucumbers. Our cucumbers are not ready yet as he planted them late. However we are just starting to get ripe grape tomatoes from the garden for which I am thrilled. They taste so much better than those from the grocery store. It's like biting into a mini tomato! Hence my dinner last evening was all vegetables and included this salad with a home made Creamy Dill Dressing.
It's a snap to put together as you'll soon find out. And, it's inexpensive to make. My cost was $2.15 and it makes about 2 cups of dressing. Compared to most chemically laden dressing on the market this is on the inexpensive side and so much better for you.
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. dill weed
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Mix all of the spices together in a medium sized bowl with a whisk.
- To the spices add the 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of mayonnaise. Whisk well until fully incorporated then refrigerate until using.
To make the salad:
- 1-2 large cucumbers
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes - slice in half
- romaine lettuce leaves
- salt to taste
- Ranch dressing
- Slice your cucumbers in rounds and cut the grape tomatoes in half. Sprinkle with salt and toss together.
- Take a romaine lettuce leaf and add the cucumber salad on top.
- Drizzle with the Ranch Dressing and you have a great light lunch, dinner or side salad to a meal.
Please note: all photographs are the sole property of Patricia Anderson, a.k.a. Cooking On A Budget. Any use of these photographs must be obtained from the owner in writing.