Turkey Shepherds Pie with Fresh Herbs

This easy to make ground turkey shepherds pie is bursting with flavor!

Since I have already made and blogged about Traditional Beef Shepherds Pie and Chicken Shepherds Pie , I had thought back in 2014 that I would attempt a ground turkey shepherds pie. With some products I already had the only things I needed to procure at the store would be some turkey gravy and the ground turkey itself. Now you fast forward to 2016 and I am remaking some of the older recipes - lots of them had awful photographs. So to this end, the Turkey Shepherds Pie with Fresh Herbs was put on the list of re-makes.
I not only chose this because I wasn't overly pleased with my initial photographs but for the fact that this is one heck of a delicious and easy family meal. Of course my husband had to look at the recipe to jog his memory but when it kicked in he smiled broadly and said, "That's a great choice. I am looking forward to having this again." Well after he consumed a large portion the first day he commented that "all of the flavors in here are just spot on." And he had no problem what so ever having it the next day as well.

If you don't have access to fresh herbs from your own garden then use dried sage and parsley, but I do recommend spending a little over a dollar for fresh rosemary. The dried is too stiff and woody and in my estimation lacks flavor as well. I hate getting a mouthful of dried rosemary in a dish!

Therefore, plan your next dinners or side dishes so you have further use for the fresh rosemary and the other herbs if you purchase them. Some examples would be a chicken dish where you combine rosemary and sage or a pork dish using the rosemary. Use them in soups or in egg dishes - they just add such brightness and freshness to your cooking!


With the gravy on the bottom, topped with the turkey and herbs and a good layer of corn added in, topped with mashed potatoes that become buttery-crisp while baking, this dinner is utterly delightful.

You can make this a day in advance and bake it when you are ready. I used my 9 1/2 x 6 1/2 inch oven proof casserole. It makes enough for 6 portions.

  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1 - 10 1/2 oz. can  or 12 oz. jar turkey gravy
  • 3 cups mashed potatoes (left over mashed is fine)
  • 1 bag frozen corn or 3 fresh ears of corn with kernels sliced off.
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. fresh chopped rosemary
  • 1 tsp. fresh chopped sage or 1/4 tsp. dried
  • 1 tsp. fresh chopped flat leaf parsley or 1/4 tsp. dried
  • 3 tbsp. extra butter - melted for spreading over the mashed potatoes
  • salt to taste
  • black pepper to taste
  1. In a skillet over medium high heat, melt the one tablespoon of butter with the olive oil. Add in the ground turkey, breaking it down and turning over as it cooks.
  2. Cook it about 2/3 of the way and add in salt and ground black pepper to taste along with the fresh herbs. Mix well and take off the heat.
  3. In your casserole dish empty the content of the gravy to the bottom of the dish.
  4. Then add in the ground turkey and spread out in the dish.
  5. Next, you'll add in the layer of corn.
  6. Finally add the mashed potatoes to the top. If you are using left-over mashed, set your microwave to reheat and reheat for about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes for the potatoes to soften up a bit.
  7. Spread the potatoes over the top completely covering and using a fork make some swirls in the potato. Pour the melted butter over the top of the potatoes. This adds extra flavor as well as aids in the browning process.
  8. Bake uncovered in a 350° oven for about 45 minutes. I used my convection on my oven to help in the browning process and did that for about 8 more minutes. You can use your broiler but keep an eye on it.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have made this a day in advance and refrigerated, you will have to bring the casserole out at least 1/2 hour prior to baking or extend the baking time by 15 minutes or so.


Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 portions
Cost: approximately $9.53, feeding 6 portions for $1.58 each.




When you take the casserole out of the oven let it rest for at least five minutes. Dive in and serve this up to your family. This complete meal for a family of six is just $1.58 per portion.


I have to say I am not getting any compensation for what I am about to tell you. If you have never shopped at a Shop Rite grocery store I would urge you to. You will save so much money shopping there. Their package of ground turkey which was a little over 1 1/4 lbs. cost me $4.16. That is such an inexpensive cost for a protein to feed a family. Shopping wisely and menu planning indeed helps. My overall savings this last trip was $24.93!

Here is another photograph if you want to PIN the recipe:


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts