This is a ridiculously simple but delicious soup I made in the colder months of October and November and December in my tiny little food to go restaurant way back in 2003. I had some customers that when I posted another soup of the day would always ask when I would make this next.
The flavors of pumpkin and apple pie melded into a soup sounds strange, but it's delicious. Simply delicious.
- 1 - 30 oz. can of pumpkin puree
- 1 - 24 oz. jar applesauce
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 small shallot - minced
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- In a small stock pot over medium low heat melt the butter. Add in the minced shallot and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes until the shallots have softened and give off their own liquid.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients - MINUS the cream to the stock pot and cook over medium low heat for about 30 minutes to let the flavors meld together.
- Add in the cream at the end, stir and serve.