Italian Beef and Noodle Casserole

A family-friendly casserole that everyone will enjoy. It's easy, inexpensive and delicious!



While shopping yesterday I was just simply amazed at the costs of food items. I somewhat understand when cleaning products or paper goods are pricey, but when it comes to life's necessity,  food, I find it very upsetting that prices are so high.

Perhaps it's the cost of transporting freshness to us that makes it thus. However I find myself really not being able to necessarily plan my dinners as well as I used to because on sale prices now are the prices we paid two years ago for the average price! So while I am shopping I am thinking of families with children and wonder to myself and out loud, "how do people with kids manage to eat well these days?"

I went through the checkout line of someone I know. We began to talk about the high prices as she rang me out. She said I have 7 people to feed in my house and I want to tell you I follow your blog. You have given me inspiration and ideas and some great recipes for feeding my family. I may not have quoted her exactly but that was the overall gist. This is just one example of why I do this blog.

Just because we cook on a budget does not mean we sacrifice flavor. This Italian Beef and Noodle Casserole which cost approximately $9.29 to make feeds 6-8 people. The dish is flavorful and filling and will satisfy your hungry family. With the exception of using a pot to par-boil the noodles this is all made in one skillet and on the stove top. Serve with a side vegetable of your choice or serve just the casserole as we did.
  • 1 lb. ground beef (I used chuck)
  • 1/2 package broad egg noodles
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 3/4 cup (6 oz.) sour cream
  • 1/2 bag shredded mozzarella (or to taste)
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2-3 garlic cloves - minced
  • 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
  • 1 tsp. granulated garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. dried basil
  • salt to taste
  • black pepper to taste
  1. In a sauce pot bring salted water to a boil and add in the egg noodles and cook for 9 minutes. Drain and set aside while you brown the meat. So the noodles won't stick, drizzle a bit of olive oil over them and toss around.
  2. In a deep skillet that has a lid, over medium heat brown the beef and break it apart. Add salt and black pepper and mix in.
  3. When the beef is 3/4 cooked add in the onion and garlic and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes stirring over MEDIUM LOW heat.
  4. Next add in the rest of the dried spices along with the tomato sauce and sour cream. Stir well. Add in the noodles and cook covered over low heat for about 20 minutes.
  5. After 20 minutes add in the Parmesan cheese and the shredded mozzarella and cook on low covered until the cheese melts. Takes about 8-10 minutes longer.


The night before I made the Rosemary and Thyme Braised Pork Chops which came out fabulous by the way, so when I served this dinner I wondered how it would fare. My husband is my number one critic and he raved about the chops so I was hoping for the best with this dish as well.

The proof I received was that he ate two huge bowls of it and that was my clue that it was a great meal that many would enjoy. There definitely is no sacrificing flavor here so I hope you give this one a try.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts