New England Lobsta Roll


This is my 1,000th post, can you believe it? Back in 2010 I started this blog after two years of medical hell whereby I had been under so much anesthesia that my brain was not functioning properly. In addition to that there were multiple back complications all of which contributed to rendering me no longer able to hold down a job in the work force. The blog was a way to help me maintain what I loved which was cooking and I felt I could use the writing of the blog as a tool to re-strengthen my mind. Back then I could barely lift a pot of boiling mashed potatoes and remember two things at once.

When I first began the blog I was actually cataloging family recipes so my kids would all have access to them. Not having a clue as to what I was doing, many had no photographs. And all I had for a camera was a flip phone to take pictures so the early photos are pretty horrendous! As time went by I began networking with established bloggers through Facebook and learned so much. It was difficult for me to grasp the technology stuff that goes into creating a blog, marketing the blog posts and just so many little things you need to know to make a successful blog happen as my mind wasn't working normally.

It was indeed other bloggers who mentored me and gave me some sound advice as well as my own on-line research that has enabled me to start to produce good content and better pictures. Certainly not in the league with the pros and the ones who like me do it for a hobby that have the knowledge and experience behind a camera with lots of fancy props and lighting.

However, today I celebrate that instead of my posts getting viewed by 10 people, thousands now have access to them and a few hundred visit the blog on a daily basis. I also celebrate the many relationships I have formed with other bloggers all over the world. I've never met them in person but through the magic of social media their personalities and character come through and many I am proud to call "friend".

We do have a recipe here so let's get to it. Since this is a celebratory post, I am doing something that is not so "cooking on a budget".  Because when you celebrate you sometimes splurge, right? Well for me this recipe is due to (and I am not bragging) - we got the lobsters for free. It only cost me some celery, mayonnaise and some fresh ground black pepper and of course the rolls.

Lobster doesn't need much fussing. Two types of lobster rolls are served here in New England. One is the butter poached lobster roll and the other a mayonnaise based lobster "salad". The salad variety is what I made and it was absolutely scrumptious. This amount of lobster should make four nice sized portions.
  • 3 cups lobster meat cut up
  • 2 small stalks celery - small dice
  • 1/4 cup or so mayonnaise (just enough to bind it together)
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 4 hot dog rolls
  • 1 -2 tbsp. melted butter
  1. Place your picked out lobster meat on a cutting board and cut to the size you prefer and place in a medium sized bowl.
  2. Peel the celery to remove all the strings then dice it rather small and add that to the lobster.
  3. Grind as much pepper as you like over the lobster and celery and give a good stir.
  4. Add the mayonnaise, a little at a time until you have the consistency you desire!
  5. Chill it for a while.
  6. While the lobster is chilling heat up an indoor grill pan over high heat.
  7. In a small dish melt the butter in the microwave and brush the sides of the roll with some butter. Grill each side for a minute or so until you have toasted it to your liking.
  8. Bring the lobster salad back out and fill each roll.
What an absolute treat this was on a very warm day here in Connecticut and thanks to our friend we got two meals out of the lobsters he so generously gave us.


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts