This Hamburger Stroganoff is what you would call "semi-homemade" and it comes together complete in about 30 minutes or so. The only type of beefy stroganoff I had made was with some cut of sirloin and I discovered a couple of years ago that making it with ground beef was not only easier, but the flavor was excellent as well.
Generally I would make this type of dish totally homemade. Meaning, I would start out with a roux for making a bechemel sauce and adding the mushroom to it to make it a mushroom sauce. I actually like canned cream of mushroom soup in cooking as it's quick and easy and does have good flavor. My mom made a similar recipe a lot while we were growing up, without fresh mushrooms in it and it was served over mashed potatoes with frozen French green beans on the side. We loved it.
My husband wouldn't eat that version when I made it but this he'll eat and he'll eat large portions of this Quick and Easy Beef Stroganoff over egg noodles! It makes me chuckle when I think of it. So sometimes all you have to do is switch a couple of things around and you'll have success pleasing everyone in your family!
- 1 lb. ground chuck
- 1 - 10 oz. box mushrooms (I used crimini.) - sliced
- 1 - 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 can milk (Use the soup can and clean out all the soup from around the sides and bottom.)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tbsp. butter or olive oil
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- granulated garlic or garlic powder to taste (use just a touch)
- 1/2 bag or so egg noodles - cooked to manufacturer's directions
- Get a deep skillet hot over high heat. Add in the butter or the oil (your choice) and let the skillet get really hot. Add in the sliced mushrooms and saute to a light golden color. Move to a waiting bowl. Do not over cook them!
- Next, turn down the heat slightly and add in the onions and some salt and black pepper to taste. Cook for a couple of minutes until they become a little soft and add them to the bowl with the mushrooms.
- Jack the heat back up to high and allow the pan to get really hot. Break up the ground beef in the pan. Season the beef with salt and pepper and just a little bit of garlic powder.
- Add in the onions and mushrooms, the can of mushroom soup and the milk. Cover and simmer over really low heat for just about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook time: 20-25
Cost: approximately $9.40, serving four for $2.35 each
- While you have the stroganoff in the works get a pot of hot tap water on the stove to make the egg noodles according to the manufacturer's directions. Lid the pot so it comes up to a boil faster. Be sure to salt the water before adding in the egg noodles when it comes up to a boil.
- And get your vegetable cooking. If using frozen baby peas and you don't have fussy kids (nothing touching) just add them right to the stroganoff mixture in the last few minutes of cooking.
- If you are doing something like carrots - have them peeled and cut and in a pot of water ahead of starting the stroganoff and light the fire under the pot before you start the stroganoff and I think the timing will be perfect.
This Quick and Easy Hamburger Stroganoff is one of the heartier kinds of meal we all look forward to eating during the colder months. It's filling and a dinner you can make during the week when things are hectic between work schedules, school and activities. I made this early in the day so I could catch some good light to take photos and it warmed up quite nicely at dinner time.