I love being creative with left overs and for many years now have referred to these as left over make over meals. Turn left over roasted chicken into a delicious family meal by making a chicken pot pie and it ends up costing you a mere $5.39 to make. Now while this is not ultra creative but more commonplace, it is still a great left over make over meal and a dish that everyone in the family can enjoy.
So if your Christmas Eve dinner is a nice big juicy Roasted Chicken your next meal will be a breeze providing you have left over meat from the bird!
Should you have just a small amount (say 1/2 cup) of your own chicken gravy add it to this recipe for additional flavor. The combination of my gravy and the canned soup I used made a wonderful binder to pull this dish together and gave it intense flavor. Even if you don't have gravy, the flavoring from the soup is perfect for the pot pie.
The fact that you can have this prepped in about 10 minutes and an additional 40 minutes of baking time makes this a quick meal for any night of the week. I used a pre-made pie crust which is great for making pot pies as they have that perfect saltiness to them. I purchased a box of them at our store on sale for $2.50 and not having to make crust from scratch saves time. The chicken pot pie has a bottom and top crust so you will use the whole package.
Be sure to take the crusts out of the freezer and store in the refrigerator the night before so when you come home from work they are ready to use. Remove them from the refrigerator and open them to see if they will unfold easily. I used an 8 inch aluminum pie plate to make the pie.
- 1 pkg. pre made pie crust
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups left over chicken - cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 - 10 3/4 oz. can Campbells® Cream of Chicken with Herbs
- 1/2 cup left over gravy (if you have it)
- 1/4 cup milk (if you have gravy - or 1/2 cup milk if you do not)
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots (about 1/2 of a 16 oz. bag)
- 3/4 cup onion - small dice
- 3/4 cup celery - sliced thin
- 1/8 tsp. dried sage
- granulated garlic - just a sprinkle
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 large egg (for an egg wash)
- Unfold your pie crust and place it in your pie tin.
- In a bowl combine the chicken, frozen peas and carrots, onion, celery, gravy, the soup and milk along with the granulated garlic, salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- Add the mixture to your pie shell and smooth out.
- Take the second crust and place over the top. Crimp the edges together.
- Make some slits in the top.
- Egg wash the entire top.
- Place on a foil lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 40-50 minutes until the crust is nice and golden brown and cooked through.
Depending on how you slice this you get 6-8 portions.