In the past I used a recipe my daughter procured for an artichoke dip but today I decided to change it up a bit and create a new one based on what I had available. The recipe is so quick and easy to put together with common pantry ingredients.
If you have mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and spices all you need is a can of artichoke hearts which often go on special during the holiday season. I got mine a while back though at a job lot store for cheap. This whole recipe costs around $4.00 to make. The yield is approximately 3 to 3 1/2 cups.
The baking time is not long either, so you can have this ready quickly. Also you can make the dip a day in advance of your gathering, place in a glass bowl covered tightly with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator. Take it out about an hour before you plan to bake it. If you pop it in a casserole dish right from the refrigerator you'll have to allow some extra baking time.
- 1 - 8.5 oz. can artichoke hearts
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar
- 2 oz. cream cheese - softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- cayenne pepper to taste - I did a light sprinkling
- cooking spray
- crackers to serve or pita chips
- If your cheese is from a block, shred it with a box grater or in your food processor. When shredded place in a bowl.
- Drain the artichokes of all the liquid. Pulse them in a food processor until very small. Add the artichokes in the bowl with the cheddar cheese.
- To the bowl add the cream cheese, Parmesan and spices and mayonnaise. Mix well by hand.
- Spray a small oven proof casserole dish with a cooking spray. It really helps come clean up time.
- Preheat your oven to 350° or your toaster oven. Bake for 25 minutes, then use broil for about 5 minutes more to get the top nice and golden brown.