Last year I used a brand of cherries in a Black Forest Trifle I made. I was lucky to spot them again in the job lot store I was shopping in. Sometimes in those stores you can find some real bargains when it comes to food items. I picked up a 12 ounce bag of macadamia nuts for $5.99! In our local store that amount costs $10.99.
I decided I wanted to make a layered bar dessert and came up with the idea to use a shortbread crust and this delicious cherry filling, and top it all with some streusel.
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 2 cups sifted flour + extra for rolling out the dough
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- Place the butter in the bowl of your stand mixer and beat until it's light and creamy.
- Slowly add in the confectioners sugar a little at a time until fully incorporated.
- Slowly add in the flour a little at a time until fully incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Place the dough in a 7 1/2 x 11 or slightly larger baking dish. Press down and up the sides slightly and make as even as possible.
- Chill the dough for 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375°.
- Bake the chilled dough for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Spread the cherry filling over the dough.
- Top with some streusel. Pop it back in the oven and bake for about 55 minutes more. The shortbread when pricked with a toothpick should come out clean.
- Remove, cool and cut your bars.
For the streusel:
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 stick butter - cold - and cut in small pieces
- 1 cup pecans - chopped
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- In a bowl mix the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Work the butter pieces in until crumbly using a fork or pastry cutter.
- Add in the chopped nuts and mix well.