The title of this recipe is a mouthful to say or type but there's a mouthful of yum in every bite that I think the kids will love. Nice and moist red velvet cupcakes topped with a delicious and smooth cream cheese frosting tinted green for the season and sprinkled with some red sugar for added color.
Even professional chefs admit this: not everyone possesses great baking skills. Some like me, are far better cooks than bakers which is why I often rely on a box cake mix to make cupcakes. This recipe is no different. These red velvet cupcakes are courtesy of Betty Crocker®; however the frosting is home made and it complements the moist cake very nicely.
The kids will thoroughly enjoy getting a shot at helping in the kitchen to make these. Find a job they can do in the process that is age appropriate and let them have at it. These are the things kids will remember as they get older and branch off on their own. Now if you have a family favorite red velvet cake recipe by all means use that in place of the box mix.
These ended up to not cost much as I got the cake mix on a 10 for $10.00 sale. Add a few eggs, a little oil and some water and it doesn't add up to much. The Peeps Snowmen cost $1.29 and the red sugar crystals were $2.49 and a container lasts forever! The home made frosting does cost around $4.00 to make.
- 1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 bar cream cheese (8 oz.) - softened
- 1 stick butter - softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 40 drops green food coloring (for frosting)
- 1 package Peeps Snowmen
- 1 tsp. red sugar crystals (more or less)
- Make and bake the cupcakes according to the box directions. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a bowl with a hand held mixer, blend the butter and cream cheese together until fully incorporated.
- Add in the vanilla and 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar at a time - beating well after each addition until all the sugar is incorporated. I don't like a sweet frosting. If you want it sweeter add 1/4 cup more and mix well and taste. Still not sweet for you? Add one more 1/4 cup.
- When the frosting is well combined, add in the food coloring 10 drops at a time and mix. Keep adding an additional 10 drops until you achieve this color or the color you like.
- The cupcakes are cooled so now you frost them. Add a snowman to each and sprinkle on the red sugar crystals.
PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO ENTER TO WIN EIGHT DOZEN HOLIDAY COOKIES!
You can enter to WIN right here or enter at any one of the above web sites until December 7, 2014. The WINNER will be notified on December 8th.
a Rafflecopter giveaway