I have had a box of yellow cake mix in the pantry for a while. What I really wanted was pound cake. I did not have enough flour so I decided to check out the typical pound cake ingredients and decided I would use the cake mix for a base. It worked. And it's delicious. Really delicious and ridiculously easy too!
That's what I love about box mixes - all the flour bases are there and all you have to do is use a little imagination and creativity to come up with an easy dessert for the family. The ingredients are everything you probably already have in your pantry and refrigerator. For plan ahead or last minute desserts this is the ticket!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- shortening or cooking spray
- In a large bowl add the cake mix and all the other ingredients.
- Mix on low speed until incorporated and beat for 1-2 minutes more.
- Grease or spray your bundt pan and add in the batter. Smooth it around to make it as even as you can.
- Bake in a preheated 350° for 40 minutes and test with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean. If not bake about 2-3 minutes more. Mine was beautiful at 40 minutes.
- Cool in the bundt pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. Turn it out onto the rack and cool completely.
- If you plan on icing it in any way you must allow it to cool completely before doing that.
A boxed cake mix - endless possibilities to elevate it and create something different!
I have to say I really enjoyed researching where Pound Cakes originated and learning about them. Here's some facts you may enjoy reading: