When it comes to chocolate cake, whether it be the German chocolate or any other chocolate cake this is by far tops in my estimation. In addition to the wonderful sweet flavor, it gets its rich flavor from the butter and evaporated milk and egg yolks. Truth be told I could eat this frosting with a spoon and be utterly happy!
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 - 14 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks butter - room temperature
- 1 - 7 oz. pkg. shredded coconut
- 1 - 7 oz. pkg. chopped pecans
- In a sauce pot whisk together the egg yolks, evaporated milk and vanilla until blended well.
- Place the sauce pot on your stove and over medium heat add the sugar and butter to the mix.
- Keep whisking and constantly stirring. When the mixture begins to boil it will start to thicken. At the point of thickness, remove from the heat.
- Fold in the pecans and coconut and cool down until the mixture becomes your desired consistency for spreading. As it cools down, it thickens to a nice spreadable consistency.
When you take the frosting off the stove and add the coconut and pecans it looks really golden.
Then as it cools and thickens it begins to look like this:
I just thought of this: I made these Chocolate Coconut Pecan Candies using this recipe. Follow the link.