The freezer held some pre-made shells and pre-made crusts that I get on sale so I decided to make some apple pies that I could freeze and any time my husband gets a craving there's one to pull out, thaw and then gently warm in a low oven. Nothing like warm apple pie and a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
The pies may not be fancy looking by any stretch, but they sure are tasty. I love my simple pie filling recipe and come winter when we want a comfort dessert, these already baked pies won't take long to warm through once they thaw. With each top crust costing $1.00 and the bottom deep dish pie crust costing $1.84 each and figuring in actually purchasing apples, each pie cost about $5.00 to make.
Recipe is enough for two pies
- 10-12 apples - cored, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- nutmeg to taste
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 deep dish frozen crusts (or make your own dough)
- 1 box pie dough
- pinch salt
- Prep your apples and place in a bowl with the lemon juice. Mix as you add apples. You are trying to eliminate the oxidation of the apples (turning brown) and also balance out the sweetness.
- To the apples add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg to taste and cornstarch and salt. Mix well.
- Add the filling to the pie shells and top with the pre-made pie dough. Crimp. Make some slits.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove, cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve or take the COMPLETELY cooled pies and wrap the top carefully in aluminum foil. Place that in a zip lock freezer bag, squeezing out excess air. Seal and freeze.
- When you are ready for a pie, thaw on your counter top. Preheat your oven to 275-300° and warm through. Will probably take about 15-20 minutes. Or, thaw and serve as they are already baked.
When you do go apple picking be sure to give this a try. Whether you use your own pie crust recipe or have the on sale crusts available, plan on making a few to store away in your freezer. You will be genuinely happy you made more than one if you get short notice of guests coming and want to have a dessert offering.
If you like easy pie and dessert recipes, you might like:
Easy Peach Pie with Streusel Topping - for those on a really strict budget, canned peaches are the way to go in this easy and delicious pie recipe.
Easy Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Tart - this was not only pretty to look at but darn tasty too!