Pulled Pork and Mashed Potato Pie

It doesn't just have to be pulled pork as you could use regular roasted pork in this fabulous left-over make-over meal.

With waste-not, want-not mentality in place I set out to use the left-over pulled pork from the other nights dinner (Slow-Cooker Pulled Pork) to create something new. What I also had available were some mashed potatoes from a pot roasted dinner and in my pantry a can of mushroom soup and a can of corn plus the other ingredients in this dish. I had a gut feeling this might be good, but you never know until it's all made and you get to taste it.
It's a little risky taking lots of photographs of a dish you just created when you have no idea of what the end product will taste like. But as a blogger and homemaker you take the risk and if the dish doesn't come out right you can the photos, and if it's really bad you chuck it out and order a pizza!

I had to do neither as this make-over meal does indeed have great flavor because thankfully all of the ingredients blend together very nicely.
  • 3 cups pulled pork (or regular roasted Pork)
  • 2 cups mashed potatoes (left-over or fresh)
  • 1 can sweet corn
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 can milk
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I had jack cheese with jalapeno)
  • 1 or 2 drops gravy master(optional)
    1. Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 350°.
    2. Cut the pork into very small pieces and place in the bottom of the casserole dish.
    3. Warm your potatoes in the microwave for 30 seconds and smash up with a fork.
    4. Shred your cheese if necessary and mix it in with the potatoes and set aside - that's your topping.
    5. Combine one can of cream of mushroom soup with a half can of milk. Mix well. To that I added a couple of drops of gravy master to color the sauce. Mix well.
    6. Drain your corn and add it on top of the pork, spreading it around.
    7. Pour in the mushroom soup mixture and spread around.
    8. Melt some butter.
    9. Add the potato and cheese mixture to the top and pour the melted butter over that. The butter helps the top to brown.
    10. Bake for 30 minutes at 350° and broil for 8-10 minutes until the top is golden brown.


    Prep time: 10 minutes
    Cook time: 40 minutes
    Servings: 6-8


    This delicious and creamy casserole is so budget-friendly! If you have a well stocked pantry this left-over make-over meal is dirt cheap and it is also family-friendly. Even the kids will like this one. I have a big, tall and old kid and he loved it!


    I myself had two servings. The first bite was after I had taken a bunch of shots - I was not going to send them to my computer if this didn't cut the mustard. It was good so I continued with sending along the photos. When I was finished all I had to do, I scooped another forkful and even cold this is delicious!

    It has taken a number of years to discover how to use left-over pork and I am pleased with this casserole and the Pork, Peppers and Onions over Rice I made a while back. Sometimes pork is the bargain protein and we all need to use it up in creative make-over meals. What do you make with left-over pork?

    Comments

    Popular Posts

    Popular Posts