Anzac Biscuits

Anzac Biscuits ~ the cookies New Zealanders and Australians made to send to the front lines during war time.



I was given Pic-Nic's blog and asked to choose a cookie recipe from there. My choice was easy. Nicole hails from New Zealand. She is a Neuroscientist who has juggled getting her masters degree and maintaining a food blog. This recipe is her ode to those who served in New Zealand's army and I thought this recipe would be a fitting one to represent her and where she comes from.


Nicole's recipe is a modern day take on the original cookie sent to the front line in war time and I am happy to be part of the Freaky Friday Virtual Cookie Exchange and making Nicole's recipe. In case you are wondering, "Freaky Friday" is where a group of bloggers come together, are assigned a blog and asked to pick a recipe to make. It's been fun and I am glad to be part of it. The last one we did was back in October and for that I made Tater Tot Casserole.

Now for this simple and easy recipe:
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 Cup shredded coconut
  • 125g/4.4 oz. stick butter, melted
  • 2 tbsp. Golden syrup
  • 1 tbsp. hot water
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 180ºC (355ºF) and line a couple of baking trays with baking paper.

2.  Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the oats, sugar, coconut, and chocolate chips.
3. Mix the melted butter, water, and golden syrup. Add the baking soda and mix well. Mix into the dry ingredients.
4. Place teaspoon size balls of mixture onto the trays, press down gently with a fork and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Cool on the trays before transferring to an airtight container. The cookies will be really soft when you take them out but they will firm on cooling.

Prep time: 5
Cook time: 15-20
Yield: Makes 24 cookies.

 My cookies did not come out looking exactly like Nicole's. Not sure if I did not configure the butter correctly - HOWEVER they taste really, really good. My husband and I LOVE them. They are crispy, sweet and buttery; just everything you look for in a bite of a "biscuit".

This recipe is so quick and easy. Get the kids in the kitchen and make some for Santa, a bake sale or for gifting for the holidays!!!

I really enjoyed doing this and making a biscuit "cookie" that is close to Nicole's heart and heritage. But I spotted a couple of other things I would love to try. The Chicken in pastry just sounds so delicious and if you look at the spectacular Berry and Almond Cake you'll know why it caught my eye!

Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Puff Pastries

Berry and Almond Cake

 

 


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts