This doesn't take long to make, but it needs a day to set up in the refrigerator. If you are looking for sweet you won't find it in this spread. But what your taste buds will find is fresh strawberry flavor and I was perfectly okay with that; especially when I looked at how many grams of sugar were in one tablespoon of jam off the grocery store shelves. Yikes!
In my research of late I am finding out that sugar can be the major contributor to weight gain so I am attempting to find ways to eliminate sugar from my diet without feeling like I am missing out. This Strawberry Morning Spread was perfect on my dry toast and I was actually able to eat it fairly early in the morning. So for those of you watching your sugar levels because of dieting, this is perfect. There is only one tablespoon of sugar in the recipe.
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries - hulled
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin + 2 tbsp. cold water
- 2 tbsp. water (for the berries)
- 1 tbsp. white sugar
- Prep your berries and slice them in half or quarters and add to a sauce pan with 2 tbsp. of water and 1 tbsp. of sugar. Cook covered over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes. Then mash them up with your potato masher. Turn off the heat.
- In another small sauce pan add the gelatin and cold water. Let it sit for 1 minute. Turn on the heat and stir until it dissolves.
- Add the gelatin to the berry mixture. Mix well and pour into a container. Let this cool down at room temperature for about an hour.
- Store in the refrigerator and let it set for a day. After that it's ready to use.
My goofy husband ate this plain, by the spoonful because he loved it!