Slow Cooker Baked Beans

Easy as one, two, three - a no fuss slow cooker recipe.



Freaky Friday is where a number of bloggers secretly get assigned another persons blog and are asked to replicate a recipe that catches their eye. I was given Lisa's Dinnertime Dish and as I was looking through all of the recipes, these Slow Cooker Baked Beans caught my eye. It caught my eye for a few reasons. First, it's as simple as all get out ~ all the ingredients cook in the crock pot and I had all the ingredients on hand. I picked the recipe because of her describing how she made these for a Memorial Day weekend where she would be gathering with family at their cabin in Northern Minnesota. I love family gatherings, love the fact they have a cabin and love that food is the center of their weekend getaways. It would be mine too if we had a place like that.



We should just get right down to this simple and easy recipe.
  • 1 lb dry navy beans
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 6 oz bacon, chopped
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire
  • 1 tbsp cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  1. Place navy beans, chopped onion and chopped bacon in slow cooker.
  2. In a medium bowl combine water with brown sugar, Dijon, Worcestershire, vinegar, salt and pepper.
  3. Pour over bean mixture.  Pour in chicken stock. 
  4. Cook on high for 6 hours, until beans are soft.


Slow Cooker Baked Beans can be found on Lisa's Dinnertime Dish by following the link. Lisa has some recipes that stood out to me. One was her Asian Chicken Vegetable Soup. You know how I love soup! And how about Lime Pound Cake? That sounds so good too.



One of the rules of Freaky Friday is make the recipe exactly as is unless you have to change ingredients like using gluten-free flour, that kind of thing. So I made this recipe verbatim. I found I had to cook the beans longer than the 6 hours. So let them go a full 6 1/2 - 7 hours.

Although the beans taste good, both my husband and I felt that this dish could have used less liquid. Instead of mixing ingredients in the water I would add them directly to the pot of beans and believe the amount of stock in the recipe would have been enough to cook the beans.

To Pin:



Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts