The breading is chock full of flavor from the dried herbs and Parmesan. The centers are delightfully creamy and tasty. This recipe made nine one inch round balls and could be doubled for sure. Italian Zucchini Fritters make a delicious appetizer or work as a vegetarian kind of "meat"ball as well.
Zucchini has tons of water so you must squeeze out as much as you can. There are two ways to do that. One is using your hands and squeezing over your sink; the other to add the shredded zucchini to a clean kitchen towel which you wrap in a ball and squeeze that over the sink. My hands worked just fine.
- 2-3 zucchini
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp. milk
- oil for frying
- Using the shredding blade of a food processor or a box grater, grate the zucchini and then squeeze as much water out of it as possible. When you have removed the water place the shredded zucchini in a bowl.
- To the zucchini add in 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper, 1 tablespoon of flour and one whole egg. Mix well. Form into one inch balls and refrigerate while you work on the breading station.
- For the breading station: in one bowl add the flour, the next bowl combine 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of milk and mix well. In the last bowl combine the breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon Parmesan, 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 2 teaspoons of granulated garlic, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano and basil. Mix well.
- Remove the zucchini from the refrigerator and roll in flour, then egg and last in the breadcrumbs and all the while keep forming them into circles. Repeat as necessary to finish all of them.
- Refrigerate the breaded zucchini balls in the fridge for about 30 minutes while you get your oil ready.
- Fry at 350° for about 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot with your favorite red sauce. Or, if using as a vegetarian meatball add them on top of your pasta and then sauce the whole plate.
Cook time: 2-3 minutes
Yield: 9 one inch fritters