Sometimes I struggle with baking. It's not like cooking for me which comes easy. So with that in mind I often rely on a boxed cake mix to make chocolate desserts in my home. And with a pudding brand that I have loved all my life, it made perfect sense to take shortcuts.
- Devil's Food Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 16 oz. milk
- 1 box chocolate pudding (I used My-T-Fine)
- 1 pint whipping or heavy cream
- semi-sweet chocolate for chocolate shavings
- 7 inch round baking pans (I found some in aluminum), or 8 inch should work
- cooking spray
- Make the cake according to the box directions.
- Spray your baking pans with cooking spray.
- Divide the cake mix between 3 or 4 pans.
- Bake the cakes in a 350° (or check box directions) oven. Bake the 7 inch rounds for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow cakes to cool completely and trim the tops as necessary to make them even.
- Make the pudding per box directions and place the cooked pudding in a bowl covered with plastic wrap over the pudding so it does not form a skin. Refrigerate until cool.
- Whip your cream on the stiff side and refrigerate.
- Assemble the trifle as you see it in the photographs. Add extra whipped cream on a layer if you wish. So: cake, pudding, cake, etc. then top with a generous amount of whipped cream and shave chocolate on the top.
I'll admit that it's not super fancy, however it's easy and it's delicious. Treat your family and friends to this easy Chocolate Lover's Trifle at your next gathering.