Beef & Mushroom with Sour Cream Mashed Potato Shepherd's Casserole

Beef & Mushroom with Sour Cream Mashed Potato Shepherd's Casserole ~ a hearty and ever so delicious family meal that is so easy to make!


A close friend of ours past away this past weekend. After fighting really hard he succumbed to one of the most deadly cancers - pancreatic cancer. Although you know the end is coming, it is never easy to face loosing a loved one. Part of our reaching out to the family was to bring them dinner. I made this casserole in a larger size for the family and all who might stop by their home. Each component tasted so good that I decided to make Beef & Mushroom with Sour Cream Mashed Potato Shepherd's Casserole for us today and then pass the easy recipe along to you all.
Our friend Steve was a pillar in our community for decades. His wife Barbara is a very close friend to me and throughout this whole ordeal from finding out up until the end, I must mention how terrific their two sons were. Those young men did everything - from researching about treatments, to finding doctors, going to doctors appointments, being there during treatments and spent as much time as they possibly could with their dad despite that fact that they both lived out of state; one lives in Maryland, the other in New York. Chris and Gregory were amazing. I wish I could do more to help, but like many others who are close to the family all you can do is make their life a bit easier by making food and being around them during their initial grieving process and always being available for them when they need an ear or a shoulder to lean on.

I know they are very thankful for the casserole. It's a comfort food dish and the kind of meal my husband and I really enjoy. This is a complete meal and I have costing at the bottom of the recipe.

Normally I make a shepherd's pie after I have made a pot roast or beef roast and have left over gravy, but I did not have any so I opted to check the grocery store shelves for jar or canned gravy. What drew me to Heinz was the first ingredient listed was beef stock. That's always important when you are checking out pre-made products. If the first ingredient isn't what should be there (in this case beef stock) - I implore you not to use it. Overall this gravy tasted good. Not my homemade, but really good. So now I know if I am in a pinch I have something to rely on.
  • 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
  • 8 oz. crimini mushrooms - stems removed, cleaned and sliced
  • 2 - 12 oz. jars beef gravy (I used Heinz Savory Beef)
  • 1/2 can beef broth (I use Campbells)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 4-5 cups mashed potatoes (liquid measure)
  • 1 bag frozen corn (or mix 1/2 bag of frozen corn and 1/2 bag petite baby peas)
  • salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and onion powder to taste
 

  1. Peel your potatoes and boil them up like regular mashed potatoes. When you go to mash them, add some milk, butter and some black pepper to taste. Add in a 1/2 cup of sour cream and mix well. Taste and add more sour cream if you wish. Set aside.
  2. In a large skillet add your ground beef over high heat with some salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and onion powder to taste. Saute till brown. Drain in a colander. Set aside.
  3. In the same skillet over high heat, add in the sliced mushrooms and saute quickly until golden brown. To the mushrooms season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat to low.
  4. Add in one jar of the beef gravy shaking out all you can. To get the rest, add to the jar a little of good beef broth. Lid and shake then pour into the pan with the gravy and mushrooms. Repeat with second jar, then stir well.
  5. Next add in the drained ground beef. Mix well.
  6. Add the beef and gravy mixture to your casserole dish followed by the full bag of corn and top with the potatoes. Smooth the potatoes out and use the tines of a fork to make it look pretty.
  7. Drizzle butter over the top. Place the casserole on a baking sheet lined with foil.
  8. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes uncovered. Switch to broil and broil the top to a golden color on the potatoes, may take 10-20 minutes.


Prep time: 18 minutes
Cook time: 40-60 minutes
Serves: 6
Cost: approximately $17.10, serving 6 for $2.85 each

Just look at this! Rich, beefy flavor with the vegetables and piled high potatoes that have a bit of crispness from the broiler. Beef & Mushroom with Sour Cream Mashed Potato Shepherd's Casserole tastes so, so delicious that my husband had a second huge helping! I took a mountain on my first go round and would have loved to stuff myself silly going back for seconds, but thankfully refrained. I hope you all give this a go and make if for you and your family.

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts