Pear, Gorgonzola and Bacon Puff Pizzas - the most amazing flavor combination with fall pears, Gorgonzola cheese and a bit of bacon.
Recently attended a harvest party welcoming in fall. Catering was provided by a company that does wood fired pizzas. I am not particularly a pizza fan like some, but these pizzas were outrageously delicious. One in particular. It had bacon, pears and Gorgonzola cheese on it and it was to die for in flavor and everyone went back for more; including me - the non-pizza lover. I haven't been able to get that pizza out of my mind. Well when I spotted the pears and bacon in my stores flyer at a special price, I knew I was going to make something with that same pizza flavor profile in my own home.
Well we don't have a wood burning oven so I nixed using traditional pizza dough and attempting to make us the pizza. Then when I spotted the Pepperidge Farms® Puff Pastry Sheets in the frozen food section of my grocery store, the idea for these Pear, Gorgonzola and Bacon Puff Pizzas just all fell into place.
I have found that using Puff Pastry Sheets is a life saver when it comes to making one of my favorite things: appetizers. Simple and impressive appetizers are the back bone to any great party you are hosting during the holiday season. Family and friends coming together sharing great conversation and it's all centered around the food. It is my hope that you'll find these Pear, Gorgonzola and Bacon Puff Pizzas a wonderful addition to your holiday entertaining!
Here are your ingredients:
- 1 box - Pepperidge Farms® Puff Pastry
- 3-4 strips bacon
- 1/2 lb. Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 Bosc Pears
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp. half and half
- Begin by cooking the bacon about half to three quarters of the way so you render a decent amount of the fat. Place the semi-cooked bacon on a paper towel to cool and drain.When cooled, crumble.
- Follow the instructions on the Puff Pastry box to thaw your pastry and for cooking guidelines.
- Once your pastry is thawed enough to use, cut squares from left to right about 3 inches each. Use the guidelines of the pastry folds and cut straight up.
- Fork each Puff Pastry square all over so it doesn't puff up too high.
- Mix an egg with a tablespoon of water. Whisk and brush all of the Puff Pastry squares.
- Peel your pears. Remove the stem. Slice down the middle of the pear then remove the core on each side.
- Slice the pears about 1/4 inch or less thick. Place in a small sauce pot with some lemon juice and fill with 1/2 inch of water. Cook about 8-10 minutes until softened. Strain and cool down. (The alternative is to use canned pears and you can skip this step.)
- In another small sauce pot add the Gorgonzola cheese and about 3-4 tbsp. of half and half. Cook over low heat, stirring until you have a cheese sauce. Add in the crumbled bacon and stir.
- Assembly: spoon some of the cheese and bacon sauce on top of each Puff Pastry square, smoothing out and top with slices of pear. Top with a bit of the cheese and bacon sauce - a little on each pear slice.
- Bake in a preheated 400°oven for about 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
The Gorgonzola is all melted and bubbly with those bits of bacon running through and the delightful flavor and texture from the pears along with the flaky Puff Puff Pastry Sheets makes these a really impressive appetizer you'll be proud to serve family and friends.
We can't stop eating these!
I find Puff Pastry Sheets really convenient and I think you will too. That flaky pastry makes such a great vehicle for so many toppings. So, what is your favorite recipe to make using Puff Pastry? Do you make something special just for the holiday season? I'd love to hear from you.
If you need recipe inspiration, please visit the Puff Pastry Home Page for more wonderful and festive recipes to make or if you would like to receive recipes tips and exclusive offers along with their newsletter every month!