Years ago when I had my food to go restaurant I came across an onion dip recipe from Ina Garten that I used to make and sell. This is a riff on that recipe and today I created Spicy Bacon, Caramelized Onion Cream Cheese Spread to be more like a spread for crackers or bagels than an actual dip.
Baseball playoffs, football in full swing, the finals of the WNBA and college basketball will be in full swing soon and we all love our tailgating, home party and Sunday afternoon snacks, don't we? It seems like ages ago that my college team won an unprecedented 11th National Championship and 3 key players got drafted numbers 1, 2 and 3 to the WNBA! I look forward to the beginning of a new season and also to some game day snacks. This is definitely going to be on the list. It's so easy and the end result is simply delicious.
- 1 - 8 oz. bar cream cheese
- 5 strips bacon (I used thick cut)
- 1 large sweet onion
- 3 tbsp. half and half cream
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Let your cream cheese come to room temperature to soften by opening and placing in a medium sized bowl.
- I used kitchen shears to cut my bacon into 1/2 inch strips. Cook the bacon until crispy and remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Cut your onion into small(-ish) dice. Saute the onion over medium heat in the bacon fat for a couple of minutes. Turn the heat to medium low and continue to cook and stir until caramelized. Takes about 8 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the caramelized onions and add to the bowl with the cream cheese. Then add in the bacon pieces, the cayenne pepper and the half and half.
- Using an electric mixer beat it until it is thoroughly blended.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 cup spread
If you love bacon flavor this has lots of it! The caramelized onions add a delicious sweetness of their own and the cayenne pepper kind of sits in the background waiting to tingle your taste buds. You can use this spread on any kind of cracker or crispbread. I think it will be great on an everything bagel too!