Thanksgiving Stuffing

Thanksgiving Stuffing ~ blend pork sausage, stuffing mix and other goodies for a fabulous tasting stuffing!

No matter how many different stuffing recipes I've tried, I keep going back to the one from childhood. Specifically the one my mom made. There's something to be said about certain dishes that are traditions- specific to your family and that spark wonderful memories from your life. Thanksgiving Stuffing is one of those dishes.

My mother was a really good home cook. She didn't attempt anything too gourmet because between my father and us kids we were not very adventurous and any attempt she made at gourmet (well maybe not gourmet, but outside of the normal recipes) was often met with resistance. Hence she pretty much stuck with recipes she knew we would all eat.

I remember her telling me when I was very young and she was getting the turkey ready that you never stuff the bird until right before you cook it. There was a risk factor that the stuffing could be tainted from the turkey. It wasn't until I took my classes in food safety that I fully understood that. My mom always stuffed the bird and I did too until someone told me that it's better to make the stuffing and bake it on the side. They said it is so the juices of the bird can drip in the pan for a more flavorful gravy and the bird will stay more moist.

Well I've never had a dry turkey or chicken since. I suppose then that the way I bake it, it is more "dressing" than "stuffing". Since it's based on Mom's stuffing I'll keep the name as is.
  • 1 bag of sage stuffing mix or purchase plain.
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 of a roll of pork sausage
  • 1/2 cup diced onion (sweet or vidalia)
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
  • 4 oz. apple sauce
  • 1 tsp. granulated garlic
  • 1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 3 tbsp. butter
Depending on how many you are planning to feed, adjust this recipe to fit. If you are purchasing plain stuffing mix add in 1/4 teaspoon of dried sage or 1 1/2 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh sage.
  1. Place the stuffing mix in a bowl.  Add in all of the dried spices and the apple sauce.
  2. In a saute pan, melt the butter and add in the onions and celery.  Cook until the vegetables have softened.
  3. Add the onions and celery to the stuffing mix, the pork sausage and the chicken broth.  Mix well. I use my hands.
  4. If the dressing does not seem moist enough, add in more chicken broth.
  5. Place the mixture in your turkey or chicken. Or if you prefer in a casserole dish to bake as a "dressing" on the side.
  6. You will need to cover the dressing and bake at 325 - 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes to insure that the sausage is thoroughly cooked.
Serves: 10-12
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
Cost: approximately $6.85

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. Growing up our Thanksgiving celebrations included aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. There was plenty of food and always some football being tossed in the back yard or a softball game. My dad and the other men would watch football endlessly until it was time to carve the turkey and sit down to eat. I remember some really cold Thanksgivings and remember that on a couple of them there was already snow. All in all I have very fond memories of the people, the food and the activities. What's your favorite memory?


Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts