Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms with Thyme

 AS AN AMAZON AFFILIATE I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES


Chicken and mushrooms simmer in a luscious creamy and slightly tangy sauce laced with the wonderful flavor of thyme.



Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms with Thyme is not only delicious; it's budget friendly as well. I served ours over egg noodles with baby peas as the side. You can serve over rice and still keep the dish as budget friendly. Just the Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms with Thyme (based on a family of four), is $2.25 per person. Adding in the egg noodles and peas it is $2.61 per person.

I noticed a number of photos on Google of creamy chicken and mushrooms so I knew I was on the right track in thinking of what to make with my chicken and mushrooms. My husband was super impressed with the flavor and so was I! Also, it cooks in one pan on the stove top and between prep and the various stages can be on the table in about an hour or so.
  • 4 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
  • 8 oz. pkg. cremini (baby bella) mushrooms
  • 3/4 cup onion - diced small
  • 1 clove garlic - minced
  • 2 tbsp. fresh Thyme leave
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 oz. cream cheese
  • 3/4 cup half and half 
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tbsp. oil (regular olive oil, canola or vegetable)
  • salt to taste
  • black pepper to taste
  • granulated garlic to taste
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup water
  1. Wash chicken in cold water. Dry well with paper towels. If you don't dry it well the skin doesn't brown as well.
  2. Season the chicken on both sides to taste with salt, black pepper and granulated garlic.
  3. Clean and slice your mushrooms. Save stems for vegetable stock or discard.
  4. Heat butter and oil in your pan over medium high heat. Add in the sliced mushrooms and sauté until golden brown. Move them to a waiting bowl.
  5. Next, add the chicken to the skillet and render the chicken skin over medium to medium low heat, adjusting the heat until it's a deep golden brown. This takes about 5 minutes.
  6. Turn the chicken over and brown the other side for about 2 minutes and move the chicken to a waiting plate.
  7. Add in the onions and garlic and sauté on medium low heat until soft - about 4 minutes.
  8. De-glaze the pan with chicken broth, stirring to get up all the good bits.
  9. Add in the sour cream and whisk well to incorporate.
  10. Add in the cream cheese and whisk well to incorporate.
  11. Make your slurry mixture. Bring the liquid up to a bubble and slowly pour in the slurry mixture until you achieve the thickness of sauce you want.
  12. Add the mushrooms and chicken back to the pan, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165° minimum.


I think it's important for every kitchen to have an instant read thermometer so you can take the temperature of all your meats. I've had one (the same one) for over 20 years and use it all the time. Among all of my kitchen gadgets (and I have lots), it's one of my favorites.

To say I am pleased with how good this tastes would be an understatement. I definitely will be making this again and although I loved it with egg noodles I am sure it will be marvelous with rice.

As I stated above, rendering the chicken skin is important. You don't want flabby uncooked chicken skin. Besides drying the chicken well, I have found that my cast iron skillet is great for searing and browning and if you don't have one, it's a good investment. We use it to make our indoor cheeseburgers too and they come out so good. The cast iron skillet is an item that has never "gone out of style" and they last forever and ever.



Please enjoy this budget friendly chicken recipe and let me know what you think in the comments!

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts