Brown Rice Pilaf
AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES
Brown Rice Pilaf works well as a side dish, however it can also be a meal all by itself. It's healthy, it's delicious and it is so inexpensive!
I've taken a simple box of store bought rice and elevated it into a wonderful side dish. Brown Rice Pilaf has carrots and peas and instead of the sodium laden flavor packet I've used chicken broth and my own dry spices. If you want a vegetarian side dish or meal, simply substitute vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
A while back I wasn't feeling well and a good friend brought me a goodie basket and the Near East rice was included among the other sweet things she had in the basket. I've been wanting to try the rice but I didn't want all the sodium. The packet is loaded with sodium - so my advice is get rid of that packet and make this simple recipe!
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 - 6.17oz. box Near East Brown Rice Pilaf
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup baby peas
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Over medium low heat melt the butter and olive oil. To that add the onion and garlic. Sauté the onion and garlic about 30 seconds until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Next add in the contents of the box - MINUS the packet of seasoning. Stir to coat all the rice.
- Add the chicken stock, the parsley, granulated garlic, salt and black pepper. Stir.
- Bring the heat up to high and when it reaches a boil, cover, turn the heat down to low.
- Set your timer for 30 minutes and add in the peas and stir. Put the lid back on.
- When the liquid is absorbed at about 34 minutes add the carrots and stir.
- Turn the heat off and allow the carrots to get warm and you are ready to serve!
I love that this recipe for Brown Rice Pilaf cost just $3.66 to make and feeds 4 as a side dish for 91¢ or a dinner for 3 at $1.22 each.