How To Cook Corned Beef

 AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES


If you've never cooked a corned beef or even if you have, this informative post is for you!


It's taken me a number of years to master the art of cooking corned beef. The two cuts of corned beef come from the brisket which is located above the front leg on the cow.

There are two cuts: point cut and flat cut. The point cut is a bit more round than the flat and has more marbling and fat. The flat cut which is also round is leaner and easier to slice. I've cooked both and both are delicious but I tend to go for the point cut as it is generally less expensive than the flat cut.

How much to buy? For the two of us I get a 3 pound or so corned beef. There is a lot of shrinkage when cooking so this is perfect for us - we have a bit left over for sandwiches. For a family of four I would go for 5 pounds when you consider how much they shrink. 

Figure 3/4 pound per person as a rule of thumb - 1 pound per person if you want left overs.

I've cooked corned beef three ways:

1. CROCK POT - Since I am home I set my crock pot to high and the corned beef is ready in about 3 1/2 - 4 hours. You can set yours to low while at work and by the time you come home it will be ready. If you have a crock pot with timer figure 50 minutes per pound and have the timer go off at the appropriate length of cooking time. Otherwise you risk a stringy piece of meat.

2. ROASTED IN OVEN WITH SOUR KRAUT - For roasting I used sauerkraut but you can use cabbage if you prefer. Water is added and the corned beef is covered and slow roasted in the oven at 325° for about 4 hours or until the internal temperature is 185°.

3. STOVE TOP - To an 8 quart stainless steel pot I add the seasoning packet and extra mustard seed and bay leaves. The water should cover the corned beef. Bring your pot up to a boil, then immediately turn down to low. Place the lid so it is half off and then the corned beef will be at a simmer. Time varies depending on how many pounds, but the rule of thumb is COOK FOR 50 MINUTES per pound.

Cooking for 50 minutes a pound with any cooking method assures a tender corned beef that also is easier to slice and not overcooked.



The cooking on this is perfect!!!

Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts