Cole Slaw

 AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE I MAY EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES


Cole Slaw is one of those sides you almost expect to see at every picnic. It's cool, it's crunchy and with the right dressing, downright delicious!


The dressing for this recipe is from my Aunt who was also my Godmother. Even if pre-bagged cole slaw mixes were available back then, I doubt she would have used it. Every time she made cole slaw she painstakingly shaved the cabbage really thin - it was kind of her trademark. She even painstakingly would French green beans. What I loved about her slaw was the dressing and luckily I watched her make it one time and have created this cole slaw dressing from memory ever since.

The cole slaw dressing has a bit of tang to it which comes from the apple cider vinegar and the sour cream. There's no sugar either, and that's a plus for me as I can't stand overly sweet salad dressings. Flavor wise it's very tasty and can also be used as a dressing for garden salad.

  • 1 - 14 oz. - 16 oz. bag cole slaw mix
  • 2 tbsp. finely grated onion
  • 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tsp. mustard seed
  • 1 tsp. celery seed
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
Mixing the dressing on the side means you have equal distribution of all the spices and other ingredients. I find using a wire whisk makes the job easier than mixing with a spoon. It's a lot faster. As you know if you've been following my blog, I just love my kitchen gadgets. I own a number of whisks from teeny tiny to larger restaurant style whisks as I once had a sauce and food to go company. There's a wide array of stainless steel whisks out there and if you want to check them out you can go here to Amazon to see which one(s) fit your need.

  1. In a bowl whisk together all the ingredients except the slaw mix.
  2. Pour over your slaw. Stir to incorporate.
  3. Refrigerate covered until ready to use.
How easy was that?


It's been cold or cool and windy as all get out here when it's supposed to be Spring! Yesterday I did a picnic meal which we enjoyed indoors. Fried Chicken, this cole slaw and some of my classic red potato salad. We can't wait for the first outdoor picnic. How about you?



The cost for the Cole Slaw was $3.29 and feeds about 8 people. That 41¢ per serving making it a super budget friendly recipe!








Comments

Popular Posts

Popular Posts